My review of a new book of essays called Buddhist Warfare (edited by Michael Jerryson and Mark Juergensmeyer) was published in the Journal of Global Buddhism, you can read it here, you just need to scroll down a bit.

This was one of the more interesting books I have read recently, especially regarding the terrible and seemingly inescapable array of horrors which always comes form the fusion of state and religious authority, even sadly when that religious structure is the sangha. As I mention in the review, I thought the most interesting pieces in this book (all of which is worth reading) covered the stunning varieties of torture and violence involved in the spread and protection of Buddhism in Mongolia (including breaking people's backs) and the uses of Buddhism in supporting state violence in modern Sri Lanka and Thailand. And the always interesting Brian Victoria, whose work is familiar to my students.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHAOS WASHING MACHINES