The Richmond Folk festival was a whole lot of fun. It helped that the weather was perfect and the whole thing went off without a hitch. I think there were easily as many people there as last year. Quite an auspicious beginning.

Lark had a great time:


The music was the point of the whole thing, of course, and it was quite fine. A couple highlights were Dale Watson, rock solid as usual, and a Columbian joropo group that was great.

I filmed some stuff on my crappy little camera just to capture it.

Here is Lee Sexton playing (his uncle) Morgan Sexton's version of "Cumberland Gap".




Lee sounded good, especially when you consider that he is 80. He had some good stories too. I was really happy to be able to see him play a few different sets.

Here is James Cheechoo, a Cree Indian fiddler from James Bay in Canada. I thought he was great. His tunes sound somewhat like Ozark tunes. They all have an old timey vibe but are different. His wife is playing the bones and his son is playing the drum. He has never recorded that I could find (though apparently there is something out there and of course there is always the stuff on youtube) so I was glad to be able to get some clips of him playing so I can learn some of his tunes. Here is pl;aying in the fiddling traditions session, where fiddlers from five different traditions were playing.



Here is another one of his tunes.

9707

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHAOS WASHING MACHINES