I haven't spent much time adjusting back to life in the U.S. since I've been too busy. Part of 'adjusting" means "unpacking" but that is taking a back seat to everything else going on.

I spent several days driving around Appalachia taking pictures, then spent over a week doing research at the National Archives. That was taking pictures too, since the fastest and cheapest way to copy the documents is to photograph them.

Its been a whirlwind, which is the main reason that Nunal has not inched forward.

I've been taking pictures of the Latino re-creation of social space in Appalachian communities. I found some great images, and, nor unimportantly, got to eat some great food on the way. I think the best taco I had in Virginia so far is at the La Mexicana taqueria in Rocky Mount, which is a little town south of Roanoke. A close second was a taco truck parked in a strip mall in Manasass. The best tamale by far was from Taqueira Gonzalaz in Asheville, NC.

Here is a photo I think perfectly captures what is going on in the South today: Taqueria y Tienda El Rosario, painted in the colors of the Mexican flag, sharing a strip mall in Collinsville, VA with Southern Gun, Inc.



Here is a great Mexican graphic in Winston-Salem. NC




Here are some fake snakehead boots for sale at a tienda in Martinsville, Virginia



And this was interesting to see in Roanoke--a combination Pentecostal church and auto mechanic's shop.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHAOS WASHING MACHINES