It was a stunning, perfect day after the concert and I finally got around to hiking the mountain behind the NCKTPA and Seoul Arts Center. It is called Umyonsan. It doesn't look very big as far as Seoul mountains go (it is only about 300 meters tall at its highest peak) but the whole wooded area it is fairly long (several kilometers) and wide, there are trails all over the place and alot of ridges in the woods. I hiked back there for a few hours, nice afternoon.

Here it is behind the center:



One thing that was really fascinating were the military fortifications all over the mountain. There was a military base on the very top (I think an air force base perhaps) and all around it concertina wire and signs that said "past mine field". I am guessing this means it was mined and now they are being cautious. I stayed on the trail anyway... The path runs right along the wire. There was a more detailed Korean sign, I am going to ask one of my students to translate it.




There were also trenches and fortified bunkers all over the woods. Some looked old and overgrown and some were well maintained. I don't know if some of these are left over from the war or if they are in preparation for another. I have seen similar trenches on Ingwansan (which has several well guarded little military posts all over it on the top and guard booths all over the place on the east side of the mountain) and also in one place on Ansan. These are strategic spots, overlooking central Seoul, so I guess it makes sense they are militarized. Interesting things to see in the woods while you are hiking along.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHAOS WASHING MACHINES