In my "US and the World" class today we were talking about high tariffs as a developmental program. Trade policy and taxation is, as you undoubtedly know, the kind of subject that undergraduates find really riveting.

But one student was very interested, and she started asking questions about US hypocrisy in promoting free trade but at the same time preventing terrorists from selling their drugs in the American market.

Since we were talking about Henry Clay and the American System I was a bit of a loss about the question. But then I realized that she was hearing me say "high terrorists" rather than "high tariffs"!

I don't know what Henry Clay would have thought about Afghani heroin imports... but I am certain that he would have supported tariffs on marijuana to protect Kentucky hemp farmers!

(You can read historical hemp trade statistics here)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHAOS WASHING MACHINES