Beekeepers among you will note that in that picture of Lark eating honey, it was coming from a shallow honey frame the bees moved up into and put some brood in. Those hives ate through two deeps and a shallow of honey this winter, which is a much more than usual and makes me think it is essential to leave a lot more honey on the hives each fall. I have never used chemicals in this beeyard and the bees all survive year in and out, even when I was in Korea. I think the key is conservative management. Also could be called, in this instance, "not enough time to take off honey in the fall". But it worked out well.

I spoke with the state apiarist at the short course and he thinks that major problem recently has been the annual drought mid and late summer has killed nectar flows and so bees have been left with woefully insufficient stores.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHAOS WASHING MACHINES