I've gotten really interested in Buddhism over here for any number of reasons. I studied it as part of my graduate minor in Asian history, but that was some time ago, and in a different context. It helps to be surrounded by it, especially the stunning temples I've frequented here (and in Japan), and to be reading in it and thinking about it with greater attention and intent.

I am fortunate that one of the Fulbrights is both an expert on ancient Korean Buddhism (here is his recent book) and, even better, willing to answer a flurry of my questions in all directions. It really is a treat to be able to pose any question and get an scholarly answer of great depth and complexity. Plus, he seems to know where the good restaurants are in this city, which means both great conversation and food.

I contrast this experience with going to a lecture at the Buddhist English Language Library of Seoul (which, despite the name, has a website almost entirely in Korean). The lecture was given by someone named the Venerable Chong go Sunim. He turned out to be an American who moved over here 15 years ago. It was interesting to here him speak in a flat American accent about Buddhist precepts. It recasts some of the ideas to hear them in these tones. Now, he definitely knew what he was talking about, though it was from a plainspoken practioner's perspective rather than within the matrix of scholarship. The differences were very interesting to me.

I'm an egghead, that is one lesson I've learned.

But the Flower Ornament Sutra (Avatamsaka, which I just started scratching away at on McBride's suggestion) does indicate that the variety of means of transmitting Buddha's lessons are just so each person finds their appropriate method of hearing it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHAOS WASHING MACHINES