Today in my class on the South we spent some time comparing the antebellum concept of honor in the Old South and the role of Confucianism in Korea today. I have taught about honor in my classes on the South for years, but I think this was one of the best conversations about the topic I have had with students. In part this was because they could so readily grasp the exceedingly complex embeddedness of honor in the South, and its ineffability at the same time, through the comparison.

There are some major differences as well as interesting connections which I will not trouble this blog with at this time, but it could be an interesting topic to explore.

That all said, I am certain that honor, though present and interesting, is often over-used as a casual explanation in the Southern context, whereas I only minimally understand Confucianism...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHAOS WASHING MACHINES