Songang has a very nice campus. As I said, it is built into a steep hillside. But the amazing thing is far up up the hill goes. It is deceptive because from near the top of campus it looks like this


which doesn't really look that steep.

This is standing already up a steep hill from the main entrance (where the Albatross is). Behind me looking up here is this view of the new science building and soccer field down below:


The size of the people give you an idea how high up this is. There is no grass on the field, nor on the soccer field at Hongik University either.

Anyway, when you walk into those woods the hilltop gets amazingly steep. There are some nice paths to the top., many of them twisting through the trees.


This is on the way up looking back down.

There was a dimunitive old woman walking up this path backward, which I am sure is good for some muscle group, I won't venture which.

Toward the top you can see what I think is NE, where there are even taller wooded hills in the middle of the city. These are hard to see from the street except in certain parts.



You can also see how hazy it was today. "Haze" being L.A. speak for pollution, only here it is also mixed with a high humidity.

At the very top you can see very far but my camera didn't get the distance. Once the winter comes and these trees are clear I think this will be a nice place to come take a look.

Nice of me to post this useless picture, no?

Of course it is going to be freezing up here when yiu can actually see something.

Walking down the other way you pass through some bamboo:


Mostly those these woods like like deciduous woods in the US--oak and maple and some pine. Nothing I have seen really jumps out as a radically different species. I've seen a few different kinds of pines than we 't have, but also sycamores and Rose of Sharon all over the place. Of course, the latter might be native to here and an ornamental import to the America. I know that Japan has the widest array of tree species in the world, I don't know the distribution of them in Korea. I should find a good Korean tree book. I have seen some unusual birds (to me) around campus and the city but I've leave that for my birder brother-in-law to figure out what they are when he comes to visit.

Overall I really think Sogang did a nice job preserving some green space on campus. From up there the traffic noise kind of blends into a white noise and it is a nice natural break from wandering the hot streets.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHAOS WASHING MACHINES