Speaking of google, I have been struck how my students here do not just simply plug any term they don't know into google. When they ask definitions and I ask what they turned up in google, then asnwer is often as not a blank stare.

Google is overwhelmingly the default among my US students...and their professors, and about everyone I know come to think of it. Even a doctor I once consulted scratched his chin thoughtfully at one of my questions and then turned promptly to type into google (he was a worse searcher than I am).

Maybe this is getting lost in translation and there is a google equivalent that they all have.

A big part of my teaching students how to do research is how to free themselves from google and actually try out those other searching mechanisms. It will be interesting to have to encourage both.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHAOS WASHING MACHINES