I wrote before about the Korean War memorial, it was one of the first "sights" I saw. Today I happened by it and had a working camera for once, so I took some pictures. It is impressive and huge and seems to embrace both sorrow for the war and a nationalistic militarism. I am not sure which one wins out. I need to tour the inside museum to decide. It was too nice a day today to do that.

Here is the main hall. This is bigger and more impressive than it appears in my picture. The area in front is absolutely huge, there is a large open space on top of the stairs, and the building is as big as the US Capitol at least, though perhaps a wee bit squatter.


In front of this is a large bullet shaped monument surrounded by a wreath of statues of soldiers and others in the war. This photo is actually taken across the street:


Half of the wreath of statues looks like this:

From the other side, the wreath of people and the bullet appear to be on a landing ship of sorts, perhaps a nod to the Incheon landing:

Hopefully you are a getting a sense of the scale of this thing.

There are a very large number of military vehicles on display, many of the US or Soviet made, on both sides of the musuem. There is even a B-52 bomber:


There are a bunch of other jets and then a lot of tanks, armored personnel carriers, artillery pieces. All the kind of thing that is neat to see and fun for kids to climb on. There were a lot of kids there.



This is moving stature atop a fractured dome. This is huge, even though it doesn't look it. The soldiers are 3-4 times life size. I can't remember the name, it is something like "brothers" or "brother soldiers." It is a very effective part of the park I think.






This is one of my favorite of the memorials in this area. It is a large bronze globe covered with medallions of different faces. Water pours continuously over it. I have no clue what it is supposed to represent, but the surreality of it is interesting.


There is a halftrack or something behind it.


Here is a close up:


I have no idea what it means. Perhaps it is art.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHAOS WASHING MACHINES